Sunday, June 22, 2008

Pine Valley Mountain

Ern carving her name into a tree. This is in the same place where "Grandpa's tree" is. There are tons of Fuller names all over the trees there. Its more like a Fuller grove now.
Jon next to Grandpa's tree, doing the same pose that Grandpa is doing in a picture that everyone has. (in the pic grandpa is not next to the tree)
I carved my name. I didn't know what to do. No Fuller knows me as Keri, so I did Jean but felt like I should have some of my first name there, then I wanted to make sure I put Fuller, then I knew Zach wouldn't be jacked if I didn't put Shoemaker, plus that is my name, so I had to put it all. It was a lot of work and shoemaker was one long name to carve. Me and Ang both had blisters after our carvings.
Ang by her tree.
Mom got to ride a horse around for the day. I think she loved it.
The uncles all talkin back at camp. They were so fun and funny. They told all sorts of stories and fun things about Grandma and Grandpa Fuller that I had heard and hadn't heard. It was fun to sit around and listen to them.
The famous tree. Next to the S. F there is the date that they think says 1922. Under there there is a LM which they think stands for Lawerence Mcmullin (grandpa's friend). Then there is Grandpa's name. I guess it has faded tons since they found it 3 years ago. This was a very spiritual place and experience. You could feel Grandpa there and when they found the tree 3 years ago they said they were standing on Holy ground and when you are there, its true.
Stan is holding a pvc pipe that they bury there and dig up each time anyone is there. In it they keep a notebook and everyone that goes there signs it and writes in it about their experience there and about Grandpa and Grandma. It was really cool to read everyone elses experiences and most everyones is the same. They feel Grandpa's spirit there and it was a really neat experience for them. After everyone from the group got to the tree everyone signs in, starts carving, or listening to the stories. Stories are told mostly by uncles all about Grandpa and what he did up on Pine Valley Mountain and things about his life.
Peeps by the tree. The sleeve and arm you can see on the right is Dean, he is standing pretty close to the tree.
All of us in front of the tree. Uncle Steve (mr. picture taker) didn't even get all of the name in it. I wish everyone from our fam could have been up there. It was an awesome experience and everyone would have loved it.
So I thought I would write a little more about what all went down. Ang wrote about our starting experience and our race back to Veyo for T's. Once we got back we put our gigantic packs on our backs and started up the 7 mile trail (me, ang, mom, steve, neil, heebs, carissa, and Gideon. Ern was supposed to ride a horse up, same as mom. Well they told Ern to start up and they would pick her up along the way. Well we hear Ern on the trail below us by herself, so me and ang hike back down the trail and go get Ern. Ern did dang awesome and hiked 3 1/2 or 4 miles on her own and the hiking wasn't dang easy. We went real slow and had to stop lots but Ern did pretty good. They did pick her up on a horse and its a good thing cuz I don't know if she could have gone any further. Any ways, after Ern got on horse then the hike turned really hard, and me and Angs legs were burning. We got to camp and looked around for a tent spot for about 2 hours while everyone laughed at us (me and ang). They all laughed but we had to find a spot that didn't have lumps because we were the only ones (and mom) of the 30 peops that went that packed light and didn't bring a pad or mattress to sleep on. We found one finally, pitched our tent, and then ate dinner and talked and listened to uncles tell stories. Then we talked by the fire with Stan for a long time. Went to bed and froze and didn't sleep all that much. Woke up stiff and sore. Ate breakfast. Talked lots about leaving (for like 2 hours), then finally did leave and hiked to the tree. Awesome. Hiked to lookout point (awesome). Hiked back to camp and ate dinner. Talked, listened to stories, had a meeting, spiritual and business. Sang. Went to bed. Layed there for hours. Fell asleep for a few hours and then woke up at 6 am. Packed up all our stuff. Ate some breakfast and started the hike up. Me, mom and ang hiked out with all our gear on our backs including our tents and sleeping bags. It was hot and not near as beasty because most of it is down hill. We were the first ones to leave and get out of there cuz we had to drive back to Rexburg that night.

6 comments:

  1. Jean,
    You did an awesome job of telling about our adventures. You forgot to tell them we laughed and laughed and laughed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you told a run down. I got goosebumps reading it, cause I have been there and felt hte same spirit! It is incredible and I am so glad you guys got to do it! I want more sweet stories.
    Thanks Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounded like tons of fun and good times. I wished we could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to comment about my sweet smile in the pics with all of us in front of the tree...I had just eaten pepper jerky and thought I'd have big black pieces of pepper all over in my teeth, so I didn't dare do a real smile, so I look dumb. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean,
    Good posting, good power. I knew you'd come through with all the goods. Mom's right, you did forget to tell them that we laughed and laughed. How about my tree decorations? Or Steve coming out of the woods right behind all of us. Or Erin's highlighter in the dark?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean, thanks for always telling the stories and all the info of everything. Makes us peeps that never get to come to anything feel a little bit better, cuz we are not missing out on quite as much stuff. Good work, and what will we do when you move away from Rexburg?
    Lets hear about all the stuff Ang mentioned too!

    ReplyDelete